CenturyLink Sr. IT Systems Engineer in Broomfield, Colorado
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) at http://www.centurylink.com is a global communications and IT services company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting, cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband, voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit CenturyLink at http://www.centurylink.com/ for more information.
The primary responsibility of the Sr. Systems Linux/Unix Admin. is to research, plan, design, document, implement, and support enterprise the Linux/Unix system environment. Other duties include the support and maintenance of current system infrastructure by constructing an efficient and secure environment by providing support and guidance of enterprise projects.
Manage project activities that may require interdepartmental meetings and communication, ensuring completion of the program/project is on schedule and within budget constraints. Presents and drives ideas, schedules and projects within cross functional group and external partners; influences the strategy and direction of the team.
Creates and/or oversees the design, modification and development of IT infrastructure components. Leads detailed and documented design, deployment and testing.
Contributes to, is familiar with and adheres to design and infrastructure standards and IT operations processes. Promotes and enforces adoption of standards.
Provides technical escalation expertise for infrastructure system problems. Provides design expertise for complex solutions. Creates or contributes to cost-benefit analysis of competing solution designs.
Demonstrates expertise in front and back-end system technologies in enterprise environments and display common knowledge of best-practices in many different server technologies.
The Infrastructure Engineer Principal II will mentor lower experienced technicians to help them reach goals and build competencies to allow them to function independently.
· 6+ years experience as a Linux/Unix SA
· Bachelor's Degree
· Attention to detail with good organizational capabilities
· Ability to prioritize with good time management skills
· Experience managing complex projects
· Strong background in UNIX and Linux operating systems
· Extensive knowledge of NFS, DNS, SMTP, Postfix, FTP, SSH
· Strong knowledge with TCP/IP networking concepts
· UNIX Scripting
· Disk Suite / Volume Manager
· Server side SAN Configuration
· Solaris 10 Virtualization and VMWare
· In-depth knowledge of all phases of systems administration and design including understanding of competing technologies, operating systems and networking
· Strong ability to interface with customers and technical staff. Strong customer-facing skills (oral, written and verbal skills); ability to define and articulate complex process flows
· Make recommendations for changes in standards and process improvement
· Take direction from management on prioritization of workload
· Be flexible to change in workload and prioritization
Masters or Equivalent
Bachelors or Equivalent
Alternate Location: US-Colorado-Broomfield
Requisition # : 196723
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.