CenturyLink MGR NOC in Linthicum, Maryland
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) at http://www.centurylink.com is a global communications and IT services company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting, cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband, voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit CenturyLink at http://www.centurylink.com/ for more information.
This position is to fulfill the CenturyLink SSANET NOC Manager under the Networx Social Security Administration SSA Data Network Award. This position will have the responsibility of Managing SSANET Dedicated Network Operations Centers (DNOC). This position will be staffed at the customer location in Baltimore, MD and assumes the responsibilities of CenturyLink's NDOC/Operations Manager. The role will provide leadership and technical expertise in the day-to-day operations of all Centurylink DNOC activities, and work collaboratively with the Centurylink SSANET Program Manager, our SSANet implementation team, and the SSANet transition team. The DNOC Manager will report operationally to SSA, the Centurylink program manager, and the FedNOC, and will manage all transition and O&M activities as the DNOC/Operations Manager.
Centurylink was chosen by SSA to act as the Primary Carrier (Contractor A) on this contract. Centurylink is ultimately responsible for effectively delivering, operating, maintaining all SSANet services, and managing CenturyLinks subcontractors (including Contractor B: Verizon). This role will require that the Manager adhere to the SSA detailed quality assurance and risk management practices, continually evaluate the onsite operations, and make adjustments as necessary.
The NOC Manager will be responsible for staffing and standing up 2 NOC's. The NOC's will be located in Baltimore, MD and Durham NC. Baltimore NCC for a total of 21 personnel. Both DNOC's are contractually required to be up and functional at all times.
This position represents 1 of 5 key personnel that CenturyLink has committed to staffing. As a part of the award, CenturyLink must provide all named key personnel and staffing this position is critical to the successful execution and performance of the task order activities. This job will require a person who has the ability to hold a position of Public Trust.
Manages the work of subordinate supervisors and/or exempt management employees. Leads functional area within a business unit. Accountable for results, costs, methods, and staffing of functional area. Establishes and assures adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans and performance requirements. Manages network maintenance at the customer site or remotely from a company location through subordinate supervisors and/or exempt employees. Responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all network maintenance operations including installation, service, and changes. Establishes network operations schedules, work plans and ensures performance requirements are met. Responsible for all training requirements for personnel. Responsible for all reporting aspects of their particular center and function for both center results and individual performance. Strong coaching and mentoring skills are a requirement. The position requires excellent customer service skills. They must be effective in providing feedback in a timely manner. They must possess excellent communication skills.
Will lead teams within the NROC providing 7x24x365 support in the following areas:
• Surveillance - network coverage (including monitoring all switching, routing, trunking, and data networking equipment throughout wireline, long distance, and CLEC business units).
• Software and Hardware Support – acting as an initial point of contact for field personnel and equipment vendors (with specialization in certain areas and providing on-site help as needed).
• Technical Support – in-depth traffic analysis, testing and acceptance of all switching/routing network products that go on-line. This management position must have a strong understanding of the OSI model. They must understand the interoperability between the layers and its impacts to services and the network performance. This position requires the ability to articulate issues that arise from implementation, design, repair, surveillance, and performance management to upper leadership, peer organizations, impacted internal business units and most importantly our customers. This manager position will need to understand the evolution of technology and impacts to current infrastructure, services, network reliability, customer requirements etc. This manager must always act with a sense of urgency and have a high level of engagement with their supervisors and team members.
Qualifications (minimum) Knowledge, Skills, Education and Experience Required for the incumbent to be successful in the job:
1) Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field or the equivalent in training and experience.
2) Minimum 6-8 years work experience with communications networks or the equivalent in training and experience.
3) Three (3) years management experience with proven leadership abilities.
4) Ability to communicate courteously and professionally with outside contacts and other employees, including various levels of staff and management.
5) Ability to handle situations involving conflict while promoting a positive company image.
6) Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
7) Goal and detail-oriented.
8) Ability to perform under emergency conditions and handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions.
9) Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
10) Strong analytical or organizational skills.
11) Ability to travel and be away from home for several weeks at a time.
12) Ability to work weekends and nights when necessary.
13) Skilled in the use of operating personal computers utilizing Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook programs.
14) Read and follow technical instructions.
Bachelors or Equivalent in Engineering General or Engineering General
Alternate Location: US-Maryland-Linthicum
Requisition # : 208221
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.