CenturyLink INTERN - DEVOPS - SUMMER 2019 in Phoenix, Arizona
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) at http://www.centurylink.com is a global communications and IT services company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting, cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband, voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit CenturyLink at http://www.centurylink.com/ for more information.
CenturyLink’s internship program is a 10 week, fast-paced and exciting opportunity to gain professional experience within your field of study. Interns within the Strategic Programs department will be challenged to apply their knowledge gained in the classroom to real world problems. This is a unique opportunity to gain hands on experience working on real world Innovation Initiatives for a Fortune 500 company.
This position will allow students to utilize their talents and abilities to innovate on active projects at CenturyLink. Interns within the DevOps group will have the opportunity to gain software development and scripting experience on one of the largest IP and Voice networks in the world. You will learn about the advantages and challenges of providing communications services to millions of customers worldwide while refining your networking skills and knowledge. The DevOps Intern will be responsible for authoring code and scripts to obtain, analyze, prepare, and deploy configurations in support of network health initiatives. The ultimate goal of our organization is to increase network automation, accuracy, and efficiency resulting in large-scale network operational excellence.
· Work closely with the Network Transformation organization individually or in collaborative teams to design, develop, and deliver various application tools and scripts for clients throughout the CenturyLink organization
· Work in an Network Operations environment amongst network engineers with a goal of optimizing troubleshooting procedures and expanding technician capabilities via automation and tools
· Prepare and deploy network configuration changes to support audits and other projects promoting network cleanliness
· Effectively manage and deliver multiple projects to operational stability
· Communicate with all stakeholders throughout a project to gain clarification of requirements, provide project status, identify gaps, identify issues, discuss schedules
· Effectively estimate the time it will take for themselves and others to perform tasks and are able to influence the team's work to be completed within those timeframes
· Support existing applications and procedures
Write documentation to support applications and processes
• Familiarity with Layer 2 and 3 networking concepts and protocols, including MPLS and
• Familiarity with router hardware and configuration, such as Cisco, Juniper, or Nokia
• Experience with scripting languages such as Python or Perl
• Experience with Linux
• Experience with Object-oriented language (OOL) including Java/C++ and framework such as Spring/Django
• Familiarity with Agile practices
• Familiarity with version control tools such as Git
• Familiarity with databases such as MySQL and Oracle
• Familiarity with IDEs such as Eclipse/Netbeans
• Classification: Junior, Senior or Graduate status by start of internship
• Pursing a Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field at a 4-year accredited College or University
• Strong listening, written and verbal communication skills
• Able to perform a wide spectrum of complex assignments requiring analysis, innovation and good judgement.
• Strong sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
• Highly motivated, organized, reliable and detail oriented
• Quick learner and not afraid to work with new technology
• 3.0 or above cumulative GPA
We are looking for highly motivated and talented individuals who are currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science or a related field. This is a unique opportunity that will allow the candidate to combine software development/scripting skills and networking knowledge across one of the largest IP backbones in the world. The ideal candidate has software development and scripting experience as well as general knowledge of networking concepts.
Junior; Senior; Masters
Alternate Location: US-Arizona-Phoenix
Requisition # : 207312
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.